Sunday, April 7, 2013

Justrite Type I Galvanized Steel Fuel Can

After buying the tractor, I needed to buy a new gas can, since I didn't have one for diesel. I have two types of plastic gas cans, and have not really been happy with either of those. Before buying one for diesel I did a great deal of research, in hopes that I would end up with something I was happier with.

I considered a military-style Jerry Can, although didn't want the headache of sorting through the various options, since so many companies seem to make versions of varying quality, some of which are listed as not being suitable for gasoline, primarily, I think, due to laws in certain states. I also considered a metal Eagle can, which a couple local stores carry. I even looked at used metals can on eBay. In the end, however, I decided to go with the Justrite Type I Galvanized Steel Safety Can. I also picked up a Justrite Polyethylene Funnel to go with it.

I have been waiting to review the gas can, until I had the chance to actually use it. The tractor doesn't seem to require a great deal of gas, and since I haven't used it a whole lot I hadn't had to fill it up yet.  The tank had finally dropped below half full, though, and since I planned to use the tractor this weekend I decided it was time to make a trip to the gas station.

The Justrite can is simple to fill at the station. It is, in fact, much easier than the plastic tanks. There is no lid to screw off, you simply pull back on the handle, which causes the hinged lid to rise. Once the nozzle is inserted you can let go of the handle and the lid is held open by the nozzle.

Pouring fuel from the can was almost as simple as adding it. I snapped the funnel into place, and made sure it was inside the opening on the tractor before tilting the can. Because the lid opens when you pull back on the handle, I found that it naturally opened as I tilted the can into place. I have seen some complaints that these cans can leak when pouring from them, but the funnel seems to do a good job of catching it if that does happen. The only mishap that I had was when I was a bit too aggressive and tilted the can so that I was pouring the fuel faster than it was going into the tractor. Once the amount of fuel in the funnel backed up beyond a certain point it began leaking, but that was easily remedied. That was more of an issue with the funnel, than the can, though, and was more user error than equipment failure anyway.

After having finally had the chance to use the Justrite fuel can I can say that I am very pleased with the product. I prefer metal to plastic in almost any situation, and this is certainly no different. When I buy a tool I want it to last a lifetime, or as close to that as possible, and this gas can seems like it very well might do that. Filling and pouring from the can couldn't be easier. I also like the fact that the can has a screen filter. Of course a fuel can like this isn't cheap, costing nearly three times what a plastic can might cost. I have no doubts, however, that buying a quality metal can will cost less in the long run.

I will most likely be replacing my plastic cans with Justrite Metal cans in the future. I would probably do so now, if not for the fact that I don't like replacing items that are still functioning.

No comments:

Post a Comment