Sunday, April 28, 2013

04/28/13

This was not a productive weekend. I knew the forecast was calling for rain for most of the weekend, so I wanted to get out Saturday morning and get a few things done before the rain started. I did manage to get out, but that didn't go as hoped.

My plan was begin the day by installing the ramp kit, that I received for Christmas onto the 2x8s I had been using as ramps. Once that was done I was going to load the push mower into the bed of the RTV, and take it over to the garden and mow the rye again, at a lower setting than the big mower allows. Unfortunately, though, installing the ramp kit wasn't as easy as it should have been. The pieces are made so that the end of the 2x8 must slide into the ramp ends. Apparently these are sized so that the fit it tight, which is a problem with my old boards, that have been well used and stored outside in a humid environment, even though they've been protected from the weather. I tried several approaches to getting the ends onto the boards, including the brute force method of driving them on with hammer. Not only did that not work, but it also resulted in me hitting myself in the head, fairly hard, with one of the boards. I decided then that I was too frustrated to accomplish the task, so put my tools away and went back inside. By the time I might would have been ready to go back out and work on something else it was raining, so I just stayed in all day.

Today it rained sporadically. It was too wet to do a whole lot outside, though, so we decided to get out of the house for a bit. We went to Corbin, so I could look at one of the options for a shed to buy for the tractor. The sample we looked at seemed very well built, and I think that it is likely the one we'll go with. We also made a couple of other stops, both in Corbin and in London, before heading back home. The rest of the day was spent inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment