Wednesday, July 11, 2012

07/11/2012

I don't think I've mentioned this before, but even though I work from home most of the time, I do try to go into the office occasionally. It had been about 3 weeks since I last went to the office, but normally I try to go once a week, usually on Wednesday. I never accomplish a whole lot, at home or at work really, on the days that I go to the office

Since I like to leave the house by 7:00 or 7:30 if I can when going to the office, I didn't try to go outside and work on anything this morning. I ended up not getting out of here quite that early this morning, though. If there is something in London that I need to do, I like to try to work it out so that I can do it on the day that I go to the office. I had planned to stop by the recycling center on my way to work, but since I was running late I decided to just wait until after work. 

I was home by 6:30, so could have gone outside and worked on something if I had wanted to. I generally don't go out and do much after a trip to the office, though, because it seems to wear me out for some reason. So today, instead of going out and working on something, we just assembled my new office chair. I also ordered a few books that I've been wanting for a while. Two of them were on growing garlic, and the other is about root cellars. I had $60 in Amazon gift cards to spend, so had decided that I should spend it on books that have been on my list for a long time. We really need to get serious about building a root cellar / storm shelter, so I thought the root cellar book was a good on to get now. As for the garlic books, I wanted to have time to read them both before time to plant garlic this fall. I'll do a review of the books once I read them.

Whenever I go to the recycling center it makes me think about the waste that we are generating, even if it is waste that we're recycling. It seems like we generate a lot of recycling, especially cardboard. I can't imagine how much cardboard we would have if we didn't use some of it in the garden to kill weeds and when sheet composting. The visit to the recycling center today also made me think about what happens when an office or business shuts down. In one of the dumpsters there were, I'd estimate, 30-50 computers. I also saw 3 big bins filled with monitors. My assumption is that some office must have closed down, and taken all of their equipment to be recycled. I suppose it could also be a case of a company doing a mass-upgrade of equipment as well. Either way, I'm glad to see that they brought the equipment to the recycling center instead of just throwing it in the trash. It seems, though, that there are probably people somewhere who could make use of a computer and monitor, even if it was outdated. It would be great if there was a way to match those in need up with items that someone else is considering trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment