Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Introducing the Rural Living vs City Living Series

I recently had a brief discussion with a friend about the pros and cons of high density housing. This led me down the path of thinking of the advantages and disadvantages to rural living vs city living. As I was preparing my thoughts for a post on the topic I realized there are far too many aspects to cover in a single post. Rather than trying to make it fit into a single post by excluding several factors, I decided to, instead, cover the topic is a series of posts.

Since I currently live, and grew up in, a rural area, I will be drawing on my experiences for that side of the topic. My experience with city living is limited to the time spent living in a city of 30,000; which is small by most people's definition. I hope to focus, primarily, on life in larger cities, since that is where the majority of the population lives.

I have several topic ideas in mind already, and will be also be asking for suggestions on the Facebook page. I plan to look at each topic from various perspectives, and it pertains to my own goals and priorities, such as simple living, natural living, sustainability, and environmental responsibility.

Edit: It occurred to me that it may seem likely that, based on my choice to live in a rural setting, I will judge rural life to be superior. That is, not, however, necessarily true. There are several advantages to city living, especially regarding environmental issues, which I will discuss in the future posts in the series.

2 comments:

  1. This is an interesting topic, and I recently ran across two different sources trying to answer that question. End of Suburbia is a youtube video that asserts peak oil will make suburbs obsolete. More interesting is a chapter in Sharon Astyk's Making Home that suggests cities, suburbs, and rural areas all have a future, but they'll have different challenges and different people will be suited to each location. I'll be writing up a post on the topic eventually, but thought I'd throw those sources out there in case you get there first. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the suggestions. The idea you describe from Making Home most closely matches my own opinions on the matter. While suburbs might begin to dwindle due to energy concerns, I don't see rural areas being impacted in quite the same way.

      Delete