Tuesday, January 29, 2013

01/29/13

The weather today was absolutely beautiful. The temperature made it into the low 70s, which is unbelievable for this time of year, especially considering it was 12 degrees one night last week. Unfortunately I wasn't able to spend much time outside today, as I had meetings for work that interfered with my desire to get out during lunch, but I did get to spend some time outside.

One project I attempted was to replace the door knob on our front door. When we installed the new door we found out that the existing knob would not work. Since had a deadbolt, we really didn't care, so just put the old knob back in place, with no striker, to fill the hole and provide something to grab when pulling the door open. We picked up a knob at the Restore a while back, so I decided to install it today while the weather was nice. After removing the old knob and spending a few minutes looking at the new one I realized the pieces didn't fit together properly. It looks like someone mixed up the parts from a couple of different knobs, and they would not work together. I suppose this is the risk one runs when buying a used door knob. Its a risk I'm willing to take again, and I suspect we'll pick up another next time we're at the Restore. I have re-installed the old knob for now until we find another one to try.

After work I was able to get back out for an hour or so. My main task was to put up plant markers for the garlic. When I planted it I used temporary markers until Andrea could make some permanent ones. She finished the markers a couple of weeks ago, and I've just been waiting for some good weather to install them. I think the markers look fantastic, and I will be doing a post on them in the future, when I have a chance to take some photos.

Today I also signed up for an account on the Backyard Chickens website.  Andrea had suggested it as a good resource for researching chicken coops, so I thought it would be a good resource. I've already found several interesting threads, not all of which are about coops, such as one on growing fodder for feeding chickens during the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment