Sunday, January 27, 2013

Magazine Review - BackHome Magazine

Andrea and I recently discovered Back HomeMagazine. I have to admit that for years I had this magazine confused with the similarly named Backwoods Home Magazine. Once I realized my mistake I started trying to decide if we should consider a subscription. A trial subscription, which consists of two issues, provided a good opportunity for evaluating it.

I just finished the Jan/Feb 2013 Issue (#122). This is actually the first magazine that I've read front to back in a long time. Normally I'll only read a couple of articles. I found that in this case, however, I was interested in almost every article, and those I wasn't particularly interested were still enjoyable to read.

The article from this issue that was most interesting to me was the one on Conservation Easements. Others that provided good information for our situation were Three Little Pigs, Caveat Hen-Ptor, and White Earth Cordwood Project. I am certain that we'll subscribe to the magazine and will likely remain subscribers for years to come. We also plan to purchase some back issues that contain articles on topics especially interesting to us. I have a list of maybe ten back issues to consider, but the two that we will be ordering for sure are March/April 2012 (#117), which has articles on natural beekeeping, building a chicken coop, and making biochar, and May/June 2011 (#112), with articles on heirloom chickens and building top bar beehives.

It is my understanding that the magazine was formed by former writers and employees of Mother Earth News Magazine after the latter was purchased by a major publisher. I have been a long time reader of Mother Earth News, and will continue to do so. I can certainly see the appeal, however, of BackHome Magazine over MEN, as it seems to focus more on practical articles and advice. I know that a lot of readers are unhappy with the direction Mother Earth News has taken in recent years, especially as it has become more about environmentalism and less about homesteading. BackHome Magazine seems like a wonderful alternative to those who feel that way. It is my guess that this was the original intent was the magazine was started, and based on my experience I have to say that they have been incredibly successful at achieving that goal.


No comments:

Post a Comment