Saturday, June 8, 2013

06/08/13

Not only was today not quite as productive as I had hoped, but it was also more destructive that I would have liked.

I began the day in the garden, where I sprayed the crops with diluted urine. Once that was done I hooked to the mower and began my primary work. I was able to get the yard mowed, and then began mowing across the road. It has been really dry lately, so I was able to mow the area that is normally too wet. However, I crossed the area one time too many, and managed to get stuck.

In hindsight, I should have just walked home to get the tractor and used it to pull the RTV free. Instead, though, I decided to just use the winch. There was nothing close enough to hook to directly in front of the RTV, so I hooked to a try off to the side. This turned out to have been a big mistake. The roller fairlead on that side broke, allowing the cable to slip off of the spool. Luckily the RTV was free by the time this happened, so I was able to get it out.

After lunch I decided to work on the winch cable. I hooked it to a tree, and backed the RTV away from the tree, while at the same time trying to unwind the cable, which helped it to break free. I unspooled the entire cable, then respooled. During the process, however, I tried walking in front of the RTV, stepping over the cable, and tripped. I'm not sure how it happened, but this broke the lace hooks on one of my boots. After that I decided it was a good time to go back inside and rest for a bit.

Andrea was in London most of the day taking a quilting class. When she got home I helped her install the first level of the trellis for the tomato plants. She also watered the tomatoes, while I mowed the weeds between the rows of potatoes.

We made it back in earlier than normal, which was fine with me since I had not had a good day. It looks like I need to find somewhere that works on boots. I also need to figure out what I need to do to repair or replace the fairlead roller of the winch, and consider replacing the winch cable as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment