Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Utilizing Heat From the Computer

As I mentioned in another post, I have, at times, been using an electric space heater under the desk on cold mornings. It occurred to me that it was silly to be using an electric heater under the desk, while I had a heat generating computer sitting on top of the desk. So today I decided to move the computer under the desk. I didn't want to sit it directly on the carpet, so I put down a piece of old shelving first to serve as a platform.

I don't know how much impact this change will have on the temperature beneath the desk. I am certain, though, that there will be some impact. The computer clearly generates heat, and I'd rather have that heat under the desk, where it can help warm my feet and legs before rising, than have it on top of the desk where it can freely rise without providing a lot of benefit.

Since I had the computer unhooked, I decided to open the case to clean out the dust. I was amazed at how dusty the inside of the case was. I actually used a vacuum cleaner to suck out the large amount of dust. Since doing this, and moving the computer under the desk, I haven't noticed the fan running as much as it had been. Hopefully getting rid of the dust will help ensure a longer life of the components, while at the same time reducing, even if only slightly, the electricity use.

No comments:

Post a Comment