Saturday, November 3, 2012

11/3/12

Today was one of those days where there seemed to be no real rhyme or reason to the things that I worked on. The first project for the day was to take the tiller over to the garden and till under the compost I applied to the garlic bed yesterday. Getting the tiller over there took longer than the actual tilling, since the 3' wide bed only took three passes to thoroughly mix the compost with the soil. After finishing with the tilling Andrea helped me unload the tiller and put it in the new metal building. While we were at it we went ahead and moved the push mower there as well.

Next Andrea asked me to help her measure a couple of areas where she plans to sow wildflowers. These are ares that I have to mow with the string trimmer instead of the mower because of obstacles. The plan is to just sow them in flowers so I don't have to worry about mowing them at all. Before we measured, I decided to go ahead and mow the weeds since I hadn't done so when I last mowed the grass. Andrea decided to move some more stuff into the metal building while I mowed. There was some scrap lumber, and several extra 2x4s in the building, though, that were in her way. I decided to go ahead and move those to the new overhead storage in the RTV shed before mowing. Once I finished that I mowed, and she moved several containers of gardening supplies to the building. We then took the measurements she wanted.

The weather forecast was calling for rain this evening, so we decided it would be a good time to make a trip to London. I needed to run by the home improvement store to pick up some drip edge, which I'm going to use around the wooden platform of the new metal building. I also picked up a clevis pin that I hope will work as a replacement for the pin I lost that held one of the tiller tines in place. We then did some grocery shopping, then headed home. It did rain a couple of times, sometimes quite hard, so I suspect that the garden will be wet tomorrow. We'll probably have to wait a few days before planting the garlic, winter rye, and hairy vetch.

No comments:

Post a Comment