Friday, November 2, 2012

11/2/12

Since we plan to plant garlic soon, I've been wanting to apply compost to that section of the garden. I've also been needing to move the compost pile to where the new compost bin will be built, so I decided to do both tasks at once. This is what I worked on today.

I began by separating the finished from the unfinished compost. I hooked the buggy to the RTV, then parked next to the compost pile. This allowed me to go ahead and load the compost as I separated it. I loaded the unfinished compost into the buggy, then used the bed of the RTV for the finished compost.

After getting everything loaded I added the unfinished compost to the new compost pile. I then had Andrea help me take measurements and mark off the area where the garlic will be planted. We are leaving a twelve inch border between the garlic and garden edge. The bed itself will be three feet wide. We used flour to mark the boundaries of the bed, which made it much easier to apply the compost.

I had a full load of compost, which I was very pleased with. I was able to apply an average of two inches or so of compost to the entire 90' square bed. I hope to go back over tomorrow and till the compost under.


No comments:

Post a Comment