Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Picture-Free Posts

If you've followed this blog for any length of time you've surely noticed the lack of pictures. Most other blogs include at least one picture for each post, with those that describe a project often including several photos. For the most part, I find that I'm more likely to stop on a post with pictures than one that is just a large block of text. You're probably wondering, then, why I never include photos with my posts.

There are actually two reasons I do not include photos. The first is that I like to keep the look of the blog very simple and clean. While I realize that many may view this as boring, I think the simple layout and color scheme matches the theme of the blog.

The second, and primary, reason that I do not include pictures, though, is that I use to do photography as a hobby. I know you're thinking that this sounds completely backwards, and you're probably right. Obviously, since I use to do photography as a hobby, I have the ability and gear to be able to take photos for my own blog. The thing is, though, that since I no longer enjoy photography, if I waited until I had a picture to go along with a post I might never get around to actually posting anything. I enjoy being able to write posts at my leisure, and then post them when I want, without having to wait until I have a suitable photo to go along with it. I could just take some quick snapshots, but I'd never be satisfied with that. If I simply took a quick snapshot and posted it, I'd be critiquing it every time I saw it. I would know that I could have taken a better photo, had I put in the time and effort to do so. For this reason, it is easier, and more enjoyable, if I leave the photos out of the blog.

This isn't to say that I will never include photos. For some of the projects I recognize that photos may be as valuable, if not more so, than words. I'm not quite sure yet how I'll go about incorporating photos into those posts. I may simply add them to an online gallery and link to them, so the simple look of the blog itself isn't changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment