Monday, December 17, 2012


It rained all day today, and actually stormed for a while. Normally that would mean I didn't accomplish anything, but today was the perfect day to locate the leak in the metal building. I had thought I had all of the leaks fixed, but lately, after a hard rain, I've been finding water in the floor. It only happens during hard rain, though, so I had never been able to locate it.

This evening I heard it raining quite hard, so I put on my rain suit, grabbed a flashlight, and headed to the building. It didn't take long to find the source of the leak. I assumed the roof was leaking again, but that wasn't the case. The water was coming in below the base of the building, then flowing across the floor. I went outside and I think I figured out what is happening. When water drips from the roof it is hitting the drip edge covering the wooden base, then running underneath. I had applied roofing cement, but apparently not enough. I'll apply more roofing cement in a few days and then wait until the next hard rain to see if that fixes the problem.

In addition to finding the leak, I was also able to try out my rain suit for the first time today. I had used the jacket a few times before, but never the pants. The suit seemed to work very well. At the very least, it kept me good and dry, which is all I can really ask for. I suspect that the suit might not stand up to a lot of wear and tear, but for the situations that I need it for I think it'll work great.

No comments:

Post a Comment