Friday, May 10, 2013

Atlas Nitrile Gardening Gloves

I wear gloves almost any time I am outside working. Normally I wear a pair of leather work gloves, which provide good protection for my hands. I tend to wear these gloves out quickly, though, which I think is primarily because I use them for tasks that result in getting them wet. I applied oil to the last pair I bought, but still want to prevent getting them wet unnecessarily. I noticed that often when I get the gloves wet it is doing a task that really doesn't require the protection of leather, such as working in the garden.

Andrea had a pair of Atlas Nitrile Gardening Gloves, which seemed like good gloves for working in the garden or in soil in general. I decided to get a pair for myself to see how I liked them. Originally the place we ordered them from had size Extra-Large in only one color, black, which was my preferred color anyway. When it came time to order, though, we found that the largest size offered was Large. Andrea contacted them and they verified that they no longer carried the XL, but they suggested that Large would likely fit, and offered to pay for return shipping if they did not. I have big hands, so was skeptical, but to my surprise the Large gloves fit very well.

Now that I've started using them, these gloves have surpassed my expectations. They offer adequate protection for most gardening tasks. I suspect that these gloves would probably prove sufficient for any gardening tasks other than maybe working with plants that have thorns, such as blackberries, raspberries, or roses.

Where the gloves really shine, though, is with their thinness, flexibility, and fit. Leather gloves are bulky, and often have to be removed to do anything require dexterity. That is not the case for these gloves, however. I can do almost anything with these gloves that I could do without gloves. Because of this I have found myself reaching for these gloves more and more.

I also really like the fact that these gloves fit tightly, which prevents material from getting into the glove. When handling loose material by hand I find that I have to regularly remove my leather gloves to shake them out. There is no risk of this with the Atlas Nitrile Gloves, however. They fit so tightly around the wrist that it would be very difficult for anything to get into the glove. At the same time, however, the fit is comfortable, unlike some of the leather gloves with straps that allow them to be tightened around the wrist. In the past, when spreading mulch such as straw and leaves, I would often end up taking my gloves off and just doing it with bare hands. The Atlas Nitrile Gloves work perfectly for these tasks, however.

These gloves are not a replacement for a good pair of leather work gloves, at least not for me. However, I believe they are a fantastic supplement to a good pair of leather gloves. For anyone needing gloves primarily for garden work, these may very well be all that you need. I am certainly very happy with my decision to buy a pair, and suspect that I'll be using them for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment