Saturday, March 9, 2013

03/09/13

The weather today was fabulous. It started out cloudy, then turned to sunny, with temperatures in the 60s. It was the kind of weather I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I spent the morning outside working on a few chores. I collected the wood chips I had previously made, and took those to the garden. There was enough to more than fill the bed of the RTV, but I was able to heap them on. I used them to make a border around the garlic. I'm hoping that this helps to keep weeds from encroaching. I did, however, notice that I already need to do some weeding, and probably need to apply some more straw as mulch.

After spreading the wood chips I disassembled the makeshift backstop I had put up to catch the wood chips as they came out of the chipper. Because of the way the chipper spits them out I had learned that I could capture more of them if they had something to pile up against. Now with this out of the way I'll be able to begin leveling the spot for the chicken coop and tractor shed.

I stopped around lunch time, and came in and showered so we could go to a dinner celebration for my grandmother's birthday. The dinner was in London, so we made a few additional stops while there. I wanted to look for some longer ratchet straps to use when hauling a truck load of straw. I also needed to pick up some more sealant to use around the base of the metal building. We also stopped by a quilt show at the public library that Andrea was interested in.

Andrea spent much of the day, before and after our trip to London, working on getting some seeds started. She has 11 varieties of peppers started as well as some herbs and flowers. She tried starting plants from seed a couple of years ago, when we were trying container gardening, but we didn't have much luck. It will be interesting to see how well the plants she starts from seed this year do.

No comments:

Post a Comment