Monday, December 16, 2013

Book Review - Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind

I recently finished reading Holy Shit: Managing Manure to Save Mankind by Gene Logsdon. This book had been on my wish list for some time, so I was excited to finally get a chance to read it.

The primary focus of the book is storing and utilizing animal manures. There is, however, also a chapter on human waste, which I was particularly interested in reading. In that chapter a couple of other books were mentioned: The Humanure Handbook by Joseph C. Jenkins, which I have already read, and The Toilet Papers: Recycling Waste and Conserving Water by Sim Van Der Ryn, which I am currently reading. I would likely recommend one of those books for anyone primarily interested in the topic of human waste.

For anyone interested in dealing with livestock waste, however, I found Holy Shit to be a great read. The book includes a wealth of information on various related topics, including manure forks and spreaders and barns, stalls, etc. I suspect that most people either model their handling of manure after someone they know, or just figure out something as they go. I think it would be worthwhile for anyone dealing with livestock, however, to read this book for additional ideas and information on the topic.

I do have to say that, even though I'm not in the least bit offended by the title, it did prevent me from reading the book in public. This likely isn't going to be a concern for most, however, especially for anyone using an e-reader rather than a print copy of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment