Thursday, September 12, 2013

09/12/13

As you can probably guess, most of my free time this week has been spent spreading gravel. I've managed to get them all spread, but still need to do a bit of work with smoothing out a few places. Eventually I will need to get a few more hauled because there was one section of the driveway that didn't get any because I ran out.

Andrea helped me for a while Tuesday evening by running the RTV. I was using the tractor to load the RTV bed with gravel, then we'd take it to the end of the driveway and dump them. Eventually I decided it might be just as quick to carry them in the bucket of the tractor, though, so switched to that approach. I worked until after dark, using the headlights of the tractor on the last couple of loads.

I didn't go to the office on Wednesday, so hoped to make a lot of progress on spreading the gravel after work. Unfortunately, though, we had some storms move through in the late afternoon, with some spotty rain throughout the rest of the evening. I suppose I could have worked in the rain, so chose not to.

I was afraid that today was going to be a repeat of Wednesday, when it began raining around 3:00 pm. Luckily, though, by the time I was ready to go out it had stopped raining. Even though it was wet out, I wanted to work, so went out anyway. About an hour in, it started raining. I tried to keep working, but the rain picked up quickly, so I gave in and went into the house. It quit raining fairly quickly, though, and I was back outside maybe 30 minutes later. As the gravel pile grew smaller I decided to try to finish the job, since we're having visitors both tomorrow and Saturday. I worked until after dark again, but managed to finish. Unfortunately by the time I finished I couldn't see well enough to know how good of a job I did in a few spots, but I'm sure it'll do until I can work on it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment